Follow TheHammockForum on Twitter   Like TheHammockForum.com on Facebook

Advanced

Anchoring hammock to motorbike?

Posted by Skye 
Anchoring hammock to motorbike?
May 06, 2011 06:47PM
One yeah, one more question. The country I'm going to be riding through should have enough trees to use, but if I can only find one attachment point, has anyone figured out a good/safe method for attaching the other end to the bike?

Warbonnet Blackbird double 1.1 + Hennessy Hex Rainfly 70D Poly
Hiking, paddling and riding around the Pacific Northwest on an '83 Suzuki
Re: Anchoring hammock to motorbike?
May 06, 2011 07:19PM
Huh this looks like it would work pretty good... from a post over on ADVRider

May 06, 2011 09:32PM
notice it appears to be tied off on the other side of the bike ( black wide strap going down at about a 45 degree angle from the bars)

there is much more weight bearing on the hammock tie off than you would think, some arc tangent stuff is at play, think like 700+ lbs for a 200 lb person in a 9' long hammock.
May 06, 2011 10:25PM
For sure, tying it off to the ground would be essential.
It looks like it's attached to the bike, then another strap going to the ground.

Could maybe just run the strap over the handlebars to the ground directly, I saw somewhere a setup where they ran the strap over a notched post, and even with the post not buried in the ground it was stable. Counter-intuitive, but there was a photo with a guy pushing it over at a 20 deg angle and it would still just return to center. Of course you'd have to be careful about the bike falling over. Kind of wish mine still had the center stand.

Where did I see that angle chart.... oh yeah here it is

May 07, 2011 08:48AM
This is a good question, and I have been wondering about the same thing. I am concerned about bending the handlebars in a situation like this. Also, as you see, there needs to be something to tie the bike to nearby.
I will be trying this primarily in the deserts in Utah, so I figure I will have even less to tie off to. Might not be able to pull it off at all.
May 09, 2011 01:10PM
That's my pic, it worked well. The agave plant on the right is not really directly under the hammock, it just looks like it. smiling smiley If I hadn't been so tired, I would have taken time to center between the supports. The strap on the left is secured to the low tree and draped over the bars.
JT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 01:16PM by flip.
May 09, 2011 02:52PM
I see, thanks for explaining.
Where was the pic taken?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login or create a new account