Follow TheHammockForum on Twitter   Like TheHammockForum.com on Facebook

Advanced

WBBB vs Hennessy Expedition Asymmetrical Zip

Posted by Skye 
WBBB vs Hennessy Expedition Asymmetrical Zip
May 06, 2011 06:43PM
Which is better for a side sleeper the Blackbird or the Expedition Asym?

Is the WBBB really that much better? Everyone seems to rave about it.
Any difference as far as easy of setup, size?

I gotta pull the trigger soon if I'm going to get a hammock in time for my WA/OR Hwy97 trip near the end of the month smiling bouncing smiley

Ugh MEC is backordered so I guess I'll have to order online regardless.
Guess I should call them, maybe they have one set up in store that I can try out...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442634436&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302702959

Warbonnet Blackbird double 1.1 + Hennessy Hex Rainfly 70D Poly
Hiking, paddling and riding around the Pacific Northwest on an '83 Suzuki
Re: WBBB vs Hennessy Expedition Asymmetrical Zip
May 06, 2011 08:10PM
Bummer, MEC isn't going to have any in stock until the 13th.

Damn, maybe I should just bit the bullet and order the Blackbird online now.
You never know how long a package is going to take to get through customs. Stupid border eye rolling smiley

May 07, 2011 08:50AM
I wonder too. I have an older Asym that works okay, but I often wish there was a better entry point that the bottom.
May 07, 2011 07:36PM
Me too...almost pulled the trigger the other day. I have the expedition asym, and it sleeps pretty good, but wondering about the WBBB.
May 07, 2011 11:21PM
I like that you can have the WBBB open on top, you can't do that with the bottom entry Hennessy can you?
Nice to be able to use it as a seat too, maybe.

At least, it will be nice in the Autumn after the frosts come and kill all the mosquitos tongue sticking out smiley

This review is pretty damn thorough....

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Warbonnet%20Outdoors%20Blackbird%20Hammock/Test%20Report%20by%20Kurt%20Papke/

Like so....

May 10, 2011 02:16AM
I had these fine folks add a full-length zipper to my Hennessy Hammocks Desert Rat. Now I have the best of both worlds. Side zipper access is pretty much mandatory to use a sleeping bag in my HH. The original "birth canal" is still the best way to enter and egress the HH in bug infested areas.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/zipmods.html

Very quick service and excellent work. Highly recommend them.

Y'all take care,
May 10, 2011 12:12PM
Two Questions and his bride Zipper Queen are good folk and reports is their work is highly quality. The ability to stow the Skeeter net (entirely) almost herded me to a HH with the 2QZQ upgrade. Almost.

Here is the problem with questions like "which hammock is more comfortable" or "what features are best between them". The comfort and utility of a hammock is one of those areas in life where things ARE relative and the report of comfort or lack of it is VERY subjective. Kinda like the 10,000 threads on aftermarket moto windscreens that "best" reduce wind buffeting. What works for me, you may hate...we are all individuals and so body geometry varies. Do your personal homework and make a personal choice.

I did my homework on the features, looking at HH, Clark, and WBBB but relied on almost everyone on HF owning a WBBB for making the comfort decision jump. My thinking was that if it stank, it would sell there in about two shakes and I could try something else. It worked and so I bought a Traveler to go with.

Comparison of features?

Clark; Got a ton of bells and whistles and a hefty price tag to boot. It also is not a hammock we see backpackers use...don't scoff, backpacking and moto camping are very related. As in what do you want to leave behind so you can carry your XXL camping kit? Long and short was price plus I would still need real insulation (UQ for me 'cause pads suck) and probably a real tarp too. Punt the Clark.

Hennessy; Real close to the WBBB in many ways and aftermarket farkeling was real possible. In fact too possible...more like down right needed. Suspension would be the place I would start and then ship it off to 2QZQ for a fix up. Then I would still want upgraded insulation and tarp. For me the made in the People's Republic of China was a stink point. Ever notice how People's Republics are never actually people's or republics? YMMV and I am not willing to die on the prefer non China stuff hill...for me it is an issue when it can be avoided. Reluctantly punt the HH.

WBBB; The footbox and shelf are very nice. Then there is the top end OEM choices in suspension and overall materials. Couple that with my urge to mix and match farlkles (UQ/TQ/tarps) plus the reasonable domestic made price and the vast popularity of this rig and the decision was easier. Purchase the WBBB 1.7 dbl and then like it so much I purchase the Traveler 1.1 dbl with future plans to buy a WBBB 1.1 dbl. Adjustable webbing for me BTW.

There is going to be no honest flow chart to make the decision simple and you will have to do your own homework. Then you take a chance that you may hate it until finding out that you did not follow instructions and your hang is all wrong or it stinks period. You pays yer money and takes yer chances... if it fits, the reward is worth it IMHO

P.S.
I side sleep exclusively at home but in the Bird I sleep fine on my back (go figure) or both sides. YMMV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 12:18PM by Law Dawg (ret).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login or create a new account