Follow TheHammockForum on Twitter   Like TheHammockForum.com on Facebook

Advanced

Some photos from my motorbike trip with hammock

Posted by Skye 
Some photos from my motorbike trip with hammock
August 15, 2013 12:03AM
Here's some photos of my trip down US Highway 97 mostly, from Keremeos BC south through Wenatchee, Quincy, Ellensburg, Yakima, Goldendale, my plan was to ride east of the Cascades to get some dry weather for camping in my hammock and it mostly worked (the dry part - the hammock worked brilliantly). Since I was on a motorbike, I could find all kinds of small trails off side roads into BLM land and just set up between the trees, always packing out my trash & leaving the sites cleaner than when I arrived.

After crossing from Washington into Oregon, I took a little side trip along the Columbia River to get off the highway for a while, through The Dalles to Madras (holy moly I hit some torrential rain through here!) and down to Bend, tempting fate, the last time I was through here on the bike my clutch cable snapped! But no problem this time - just that the weather started turning wet and cold, and I got a bit of minor hypothermia (not the first time), nothing a night in a Motel 6 hot tub didn't fix.

Then I continued down the 97 through La Pine and turned off on the 138 to get to my destination camping with friends in the Umpqua National Forest, but the rain turned to snow through the pass!! Had to make a decision, keep going or turn around. I knew the snow would quickly turn back to rain and the road drops elevation quickly, but would the snow accumulate? I braved it and went ahead, it was fine, just had to keep wiping the slushy snow from my helmet visor, I'm sure the few vehicles I saw on the road thought I was nuts grinning smiley

All in all a very enjoyable journey, and using the hammock with the motorbike was far better than tenting, even just in terms of speed of setup and on uneven ground, it was also much better in wet conditions, being off the ground made everything so much nicer (not to mention I hate putting tents away while they are wet). Looking forward to my next trip!

First night in the hammock! Camping with the mountain goats under the stars. I love how you can have the tarp in the snake skins ready to go if the weather changes, but otherwise just sleep under the stars. Took a few tries to get the straps in the right position and right tension, but after a few nights it becomes second nature.

Minimal camping, packed and ready to go. This bike was not meant for touring, but some soft saddlebags & a few dry bags lashed to the top works just fine.

It's snowing through the pass into Umpqua NF!! Doesn't look like much in the photo but it was coming down pretty hard

Until next time

Skye

Warbonnet Blackbird double 1.1 + Hennessy Hex Rainfly 70D Poly
Hiking, paddling and riding around the Pacific Northwest on an '83 Suzuki
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login or create a new account